Monday, October 6, 2008

Anybody up for reading one of my rants?

Anyone besides me think that Goodyear needs to come up with some other excuse than "We're investigating the situation"? My question is, investigating what?! How many ways can a tire explode on a race car? Or maybe "how many tires can we explode on the car and how will the explosion bend the metal on the car?" Or how much metal will fly off the car when the tire explodes? Come on Goodyear, get with the program already. Now, I watched NASCAR Victory Lane last night and Jimmy Spencer said that he was in the NASCAR hauler when the Tower (NASCAR Control where Mr. Helton and his staff are at every race) called the hauler and told them to get out there and find out what was going on. Now, like I said before, I'm not an expert, so this is what I assume happened. From what I understand from what Spenc said, some teams had put more than the recommended amount of pounds in the tires they used. So that + the weight of the car + the heat put on the tires = the tires exploding. So really, having heard that, who's to blame this time? While it made the If it is Goodyears fault, the reality check they should have gotten was when Denny Hamlin's tire blew and he hit the wall so hard it knocked him out. I'm not the worlds biggest Denny fan, but that scared the crap out of me when I saw them take the stretcher over to his car, and the same would apply to any other driver as well. If it's the teams fault, they need to rethink the whole "let's fill the tires beyond what the Goodyear guys say, so that our driver can go faster." Faster isn't always better, and safer beats slower anyday. So, there's my rant on the tire situation at Talladega. Hoped ya liked it, if ya have anything you'd like to add onto that, please leave me a comment. :D

Also, there is so much being said about the whole Regan Smith deal. Ok, here's my take on it. Rules are made for a reason. From what I understand, the drivers were told at the meeting, there is to be no "improving your position" (I forget how they said it, I think that was it) below the yellow line. That means, you can't pass below the yellow line. I know Regan is a rookie, but rules are rules, and they're put there for a reason. Tony won that race, he did what he had to do to hold of Regan and that's that. Congrats Tony for getting the win! Regan, I hope you have learned that when the NASCAR officials inform you and the other drivers of the rules, that applies for the entire race.

No comments: